Friday 17 April 2015

Geoff's Big Day Out

I'm writing this with my feet up on the sofa, an empty 100 gram chocolate bar wrapper on the table next to me and a beer in hand. I've already demolished an XXL pizza. Why you ask? Well it's simple... Today was my longest ride BY FAR in 7 months.


I covered 97 miles, riding from Barnt Green near Bromsgrove, to Cheltenham and back via Broadway in the Cotswolds. You can see the ride details on my Strava feed to the right. I rode with Geoff Thomas again - in an attempt to get him into some sort of shape prior to his 'Tour De France One Day Ahead'. The aim had been to cover 100 miles, but despite our best attempt at getting lost, we fell short by just a couple of miles. However, a 25% gradient half way around and a constant headwind for the return leg more than made up for the short coming in miles.


If you're from the Cheltenham area, you may well be familiar with Stockwell Lane - probably the hardest route up Cleeve Hill...

The ride was punctuated by a cafe stop in Bishop's Cleeve and a fish and chip lunch stop in Broadway (Russell's Fish and Chips - surely the best in the country - see below??!). This may seem excessive, but both of us genuinely needed the carbs to get round! Of course, we could have used gels and powders etc... but they could never taste as nice could they?!



Despite the vast carbohydrate intake, it's fair to say that Geoff and I were both feeling the miles towards the end... In fact, for the last 30 miles or so! Each and every lump in the road seemed to slow us to a near standstill! However, we did both survive to finish back at Geoff's house after riding for just a smidgen under 6 hours! Not a bad average speed (16.3mph) considering the wind and terrain!!

Without a doubt, I shall sleep well tonight!






No comments:

Post a Comment