Sunday 22 February 2015

Years plan...

So this year I've started riding my mountain bike again... I'm not sure that's a good idea, as undoubtedly, mtbing is hard and will show up a lack of fitness. I've got away with not being particularly fit over the last couple of years, by hiding behind short sharp strava efforts, short time trials and the odd bunch race. But, last year's Raid Pyrenean reminded me that I can still ride long distances when I practice a bit! I think it's one of those things, that if you've ever done long hard rides in the past, the fitness never really leaves you. That's my theory anyway! I've entered the Dyfi mtb marathon / sportive. It's non competitive and that suits me. It's fairly early in the year (May), so just getting around will be fine with me. I'm so out of practice technically that hoping for anything more would be silly!

This week, I've also been watching the track world champs too. And it got me thinking ' I used to be alright at that'... So, another small ambition is to try to ride the Wolves or Newcastle track league this summer. I have an old bike and should make some use of it before it rots away!

My fitness at present is rubbish. I've had 3 virus this winter - kindly donated by the littl'uns. Hopefully I've had the last one now and I can start to get some consistent riding in. I did a reliability at the end of January which showed I wasn't too embarrassingly unfit, but I've done little since.

The one thing I have changed this winter is my strength training. I have done no upper body work other than deadlift all winter. It's left me weak as a kitten, but 7-8 lbs lighter. I'm aiming to get down to around 11 ston in weight this summer - almost a stone lighter than the last few years. I'll appreciate the weight loss on the long mtb marathons I'll be doing, where climbing is a main feature of the day's riding!

That's it for now!

Paul





No comments:

Post a Comment