Thursday 12 February 2015

One year on since the last post... frustratingly I didn't keep up with my personal promise to myself to keep writing until after all of the events I wanted to ride were finished. So I'm going to have another go this year. If only to prove to myself that I can do it.

So, last year's goals...

10 mile tt - I rode a few time trials last year, but didn't do enough to really feel pleased with a time. I did though get a couple of 'wins' of local events with a 22 thirty ish (from memory) as my best time on a lumpy course.

Raid Pyrenean - What an event! Absolutely stunning scenery, company, roads blah de blah. The best event I have ever done on a bike. Very challenging course, but I got through it well and felt strong until the end. The photo below was the team at the start of the event.


And at the finish...


Never was a dunk in the sea more deserved!

So, to the hill climb season...

It started off well. 29th/137 at the Monsal Head Hill Climb (possibly the hardest sort of hill to ride fast up - flat at the start (big ring), getting increasingly steep towards the top finishing at 1:6 I think. Never having ridden the event before, my pace was a little off. I finished 15 seconds off the podium, but think I can cut that gap by 10 seconds with gear selection and being a bit lighter this year, so I'm looking forward to the 2015 hill climb season.

The National Champs did not go so well - flu hit me that morning. I rode the event, then drove 3 hours home shivering and sweating in turn!

Below is a great aerial shot of the Monsal Head Hill Climb...



And of course, the all important Strava KOM count - well, my annual roundup left me with 97 KOMs. A decent hall as most were on hard climbs. This year, I will aim to move up the ranks on 'The 100 Climbs Strava club'... have a look for it on Strava  - I've found it a great motivator to get out there and ride up hills you wouldn't normally do!



So, next blog will contain:

What I'm up to this year
Where my fitness is at right now
How I intend to improve!

Thanks for reading,

Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment