Sunday 29 December 2013

Post Number 4: Dispelling the Myths Surrounding Strength Training and Endurance Sport

Well Christmas has come and gone, and I'm pleased to say that I don't feel like I've turned into a Christmas Pudding just yet - and it's not for the lack of eating! I'm not the sort of person to hold back on the food front or abstain from drinking. But what I have done, is fitted in some quality workouts to keep up the metabolic rate and reduce the fat deposition! 

Like most people these days, my free time is pretty limited, so I squeeze what I can in, when I can. Everything though, is of value to me. If there isn't a point to what I'm doing, I either won't do it, or I'll change what I'm doing. Having a specific objective for each session that fits in with my Mesocycle aim - which in turn fits in with my Macrocycle aim, will ensure that I stay on the most direct route to my goals. The same will work for you too! 

So what have I been doing? Well, as per my previous blogs, I've been clocking up a few miles on my bike at a low intensity (for endurance). As we all know though, cycling can tend to take up most of your day, which is no good when you have potatoes to peel for a Christmas Dinner! So I've supplemented the long(ish) rides with Strength Training. A lot of cyclists fear strength training and don't see the benefits. In fact, many think it's going to 'ruin' their cycling legs. So here's my attempt at dispelling the myths surrounding strength training and endurance sport (particularly cycling).

...

OK, lets not 'Beat around the Bush'. Will strength training destroy all ability to push pedals around in circles? The answer is a categoric - YES short term, and NO long term. The key to successfully incorporating strength training into your endurance training plan is TIMING, INTENSITY and RECOVERY. Are there better things to be doing than lifting weights? Well, in short, YES! You could ride your bike for hours and hours like a pro, then sleep for hours and hours like a pro! If you don't have hours and hours though, I think it's fair to say, that if you do it properly, with some guidance, then strength training can give you the 'Biggest bang for your buck' out of pretty much any other training. (I'm excluding Interval and HIIT training here - as I'll write about those another day and besides, it's nice to vary your training a bit and not just ride your bike all the time!).

Within 12-72 hours post a strength training workout, you will undoubtedly suffer muscle soreness known as 'Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)'. The soreness experienced comes from 'micro-tears' deep within the muscle fibres. This breakdown in the muscle fibre is definitely going to make you feel like you have zero cycling ability until the tears are repaired. However, DOMS doesn't preclude you from riding a bike at a low intensity during this recovery period. In fact, a nice easy bike ride will actually speed up the recovery process! This fits neatly in with wanting to gain an 'endurance base' at low intensity! 

The benefit of strength training, is that you get stronger. Your muscle fibres get thicker and your coordination between large groups of muscles, as well as your ability to contract your muscles effectively, increases. The result, is that you can produce more 'Force' with potentially more efficiency (ie, less wasted energy). Long-term, this could well make you a faster cyclist. I have trained this way for a number of years and have trained others too (riding at a very good level - one got a top 15 in the National 10 mile tt champs and a top 60 best ever 25 mile tt time!) with great results. So far, everyone I have trained this way has got something out of it. Word of warning though, if you are genetically very much an endurance athlete (ie you have a high proportion of slow twitch muscle fibres - you'd need to get a good opinion on this), then potentially, strength training could be worse than useless for you!

The more you strength train, the less DOMS you will suffer. The first month is the hardest to get through. You won't be able to walk for much of it and your confidence will take a knock as your mates ride off up the road. But hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel. It's a long tunnel though if you do it properly!

To benefit from ST you will need to do it for at least three months ideally. A month to get used to the movements involved, a month to build some quality in to what you're doing, and a month to focus on fitness acquisition. I'm pleased to say that I'm now in this last phase!

You really don't want to be strength training during your competitive season either. The recovery periods after a session can interfere with other important factors in your race preparation. In other words, do strength training when you're not competing, be prepared for a dip in form during the strength mesocycles, and do keep in mind the reason for doing ST. Each and every session's objective, should be leading to increased STRENGTH. You are definitely not looking at increasing your endurance in these sessions - that is done ON THE BIKE!




So what should a strength programme look like? Well, there are a million ways to 'Skin the strength training cat'. The following is my way! (For legal reasons I should probably mention at this point that you need to get individualised expert advice on what's right for you as well as what is 'good technique'. Don't believe every You Tube video! If you really must watch video clips online, then Google world reknowned weightlifters such as Mysha Koklyaev!

The Plan:

Choose one of the following exercises:

  • Deadlift
  • Back Squat
  • Front Squat
  • Leg Press


then choose any two of the following exercises:

  • Clean
  • Overhead Squat
  • Step up
  • Lunge
Complete the three exercises in your strength session (after a good workout and dynamic stretch).

Complete some core strength exercises - take your pick here!

Alternate the exercises so that you complete all off the list within a two week period. So that means a minimum of two strength sessions per week. I do a Monday and Wednesday so that I'm recovered by the weekend!

and that's (almost) it!

The number of repetitions (reps) I lift and the number of sets I complete depends upon the exact mesocycle I'm in. If I've just started my strength training again after a summer of cycling, then I'll be in the 12-14 rep range with a low weight (less than 65% of what I think my heaviest lift would be - my 1 Rep Max). If I'm progressing from this phase, then I'll lift a weight that is 65-85% of my 1 Rep Max between 6-11 times. If I'm through that phase and looking to really gain some strength, then I'll up the weight to over 85% of my 1 Rep Max, but will drop the reps to 1-5. This last phase, in my opinion, is where you get some real pay-offs from all your hard work!

...

So there you go. Simple really. Ride your bike slowly for as many hours as you can and between these rides, beast yourself with some squats etc to gain real STRENGTH. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions. Otherwise, enjoy!

Paul










No comments:

Post a Comment